The Staff Accountant performs a variety of accounting tasks to assist the Controller and Senior Accountant. Responsibilities include general ledger maintenance, accounting and internal auditing functions and providing back up for other staff in the Business office.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Assist with monthly, quarterly and annual statutory financial statements including the assigned schedules for NAIC quarterly, annual statements and related supplemental filings.
- Perform the day to day activities of accounts payable, cash disbursements, invoicing/billing, customer credits and collections, fixed asset records, statutory accounting, etc. To include monthly reconciliation of general ledger accounts.
- Assist with the preparation and filing of all state and municipal premium tax filings in the appropriate state and city jurisdictions.
- Assist with annual Independent Financial Audit.
- Assist in reconciliation of Accounts Receivable/Accounts Payable.
- Prepare investment schedules tracking holdings/sales/purchases.
- Prepare journal entries for approval and postings.
- Test claims and underwriting reports for accuracy and proper implementation of controls.
- Maintain documentation and files according to the financial and accounting procedures.
- Maintain intercompany ledgers.
- Balance sheet reconciliations as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, preferred but not required. Insurance experience a plus.
- Able to work effectively in a team environment.
- Demonstrate organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to follow policies, procedures and regulations.
- Proficient in Windows based software. Strong Excel skills required.
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job duties of this position, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Must be able to function independently, have flexibility, personal integrity and the ability to work effectively with customers, vendors and personnel.
- Occasionally lift medium to heavy objects.
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills with the ability to explain technical concepts to individuals without highly technical understanding.
- Ability to maintain regular and punctual attendance.
- Adhere to all Company and department policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.